Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Cossatot 1/2 Marathon Trail Run

Well the day start off on Friday evening with my beautiful wife. We set camp up and hiked down the cossatot falls and it was amazingly beautiful just like my wife. When we dated almost -0 years ago we went to this same spot and was great to re-visit.
We stopped at "end of the trail" biker bar and picked up some ribs on the way down that we could eat for dinner and glad we did because they had a burn ban going on and it would have been a bad deal if we planned on cooking dinner.
Didn't sleep well because some partying people were loud until 2am. But also the batteries on our air bed thing went out and Kristin slept on top of me most of the night (not to bad) because of the lack of air in the air bed. Kristin said that this was our very first camping trip with just me and her. Kidda crazy but true and I was glad to be there with her!

Race Day
We got up at 6am nice and cold and we packed up camp and headed out to the visitor center about 5 miles away.
Got a sweet dry fit t and a little swag and hopped on a school bus to ride out to the trail head that they were going to start us at.
Brushy creek Rec area is where the race started, nice bathrooms and yes I was the first one off the bus and in that pooper. We then lined up for a group picture and the. We heard a gun shot from opening day of muzzle loader season. And I said Bambi is dead, everyone laughed and they lined us up for the start of the race.
The race started What felt like fast. But we hit a big flight of stairs to go down and then we ran under the road and climbed stairs to get on the biggest highest foot bridge I have ever seen. When I got on the bridge I looked down the stairs and saw my wife was up close to the front of girl pack! I was glad I told bet to get up there! We went across the bridge and onto the cossatot trail and it was dongle track. And I had heard it was rough and rocky. It was smooth and hilly. It was in perfect shape. They have built 37 nice bridges on the trail and have really worked on this trail and this made the run a lot of fun.
Mile 1. I was in second place and there was about 4 of us. Two guys from Fayetteville Steve and Jon. These guys run a lot of trail races. Steve has done a lot of hard 100 milers and he was leading the way. We hit mile 1 at 9:05 and we haven't start what I heard was the biggest climb in the race.

And I forgot to finish this blog so now it is not fresh on my mind!  So that is why I am going to start blogging more!  I know I took a wrong turn at the end and I still came back to win the race by about 5 minutes...  Wish every day was as good as that one was!  Beautiful Trail and Beautiful Area!

No comments:

Post a Comment