Monday, January 7, 2013

Athens Big Fork Marathon 2013



            For history on the race you can go to the website for the course info!  I will sum it up with 9,200 feet of elevation change and 26.2 miles of running everyone’s GPS comes in at 27 miles.  You run up 8 mountains turn around and do it again backwards.


            Race morning my amazing 7 month prego wife decides to pack up with Stihl and go hike over 10 of the mountains for around 12 miles and I am guessing 5,000 feet of elevation gain.  We leave out of Poteau and made the famous stop at Daylight Doughnuts for the normal mountain run pre-food.   We then headed to big town of Big Fork, AR.

            The race is held in some of the best scenic area’s around Southeast Oklahoma and Southwest Arkansas.  The race is held on an old postal trail from Big Fork, AR to Athens, AR.  This trail runs north and south and they didn’t think of taking the easy path they took the shortest path.

Picture Taken by Tatur Running

            Race time 8:00am and they are never late and they never get in a hurry.  Big turn out this year and was super excited and was very well rested for this race.  I hadn’t trained the best but was feeling super good because I had really tapper for this race and absolutely love running in the Eagle Rock Loop area.




            I took the lead from the beginning and not sure what our pace was but it was just a good steady pace for the first 3 miles are flat.  We hit the trail where Kristin, Stihl, and her dad started at the trailhead and were ahead of us.  I was still in the lead and I planned on running the first mountain it is not to bad of a climb and always feeling good on the first mountain.  Got to see my hot wife at the top of the Mountain and I was pumped because I love my son seeing me in the front of a huge pack, make me feel like a stud.  Then we hit the first aid station and Tatur is probably one of the best aid stations in trail running!  Loud music, any type of food you can think of Oreo's with peanut butter & M&Ms on top. We then crossed the Little Missouri and started the second mountain.  We had now formed a front pack and a second pack, with Chris from Denver, Cole from Tulsa, Tom Brennan from Poteau the Course Record holder.  I think I head the lead for the next 4 mountains with Tom taking the lead on a couple of the downhills.  Then we came into the Big Shot Aid station 17 mile fun run turn around.  Blaylock Creek was rolling pretty good and it felt great to get my legs wait and then get some new fuel at Big Shot’s Aid station.
Tatur Racing Picture

            I pointed the trail out to Chris and there he went as the other 3 of us went on to hit the aid station.  I was the last out of the station and I couldn’t see any of the guys.  So I had to hustle to catch up with Cole. The forest service had cut some dozer paths to help with a forest fire but had caused some serious confusion for the ABF Marathoners.  I was chasing Cole and looked up and he was on the dozer trail and I was on the single track running trail and I was now about 50 yards from him but we were running the same direction.  He looked over at me and it was pretty funny the look on his face.  But he then came back into my trail and was still in the back of the lead back and that is where I stayed as Chris had really started climbing Brushy Heap like a mad man.  I just tried to hang in with the pace as it started to feel like I was racing.  I settled in at the back of the lead pack and looked at my watch after I came over the 7th mountain and looked like I was on pace to hit my goal of 2:15 for the turn around.   We hit the dirt road and we all ran together to the turn around where the Texarkana Group working the aid station was cooking Chicken Noodle Soup, my favorite on a trial run!  Had a full cup and filled my Gatorade and hit the trial with the rest of the group.

           Chris gave up the lead to Tom on the road and Tom started pulling the pace, Chris was looking strong behind him.  The first climb out of the aid station Chris that was looking super strong and I was thinking earlier in the race that his guy might leave us all anytime but he started falling off the pace.  To me this was meaningless because with the hard climbs at this distance, anything could happen in this race.  I was still enjoying but feeling the pace.



            I hung in there for the next couple of mountains and Cole took the lead and started pushing the climbs.  He hit the top of Brushy Heap and then just blazed down the steep side of the mountain with Tom into Big Shot aid station.  I had 8.5 miles left to go and I got to see Stihl, he had left his mom and ran with a fun run group to that aid station.  The race director told me that he was going to give Stihl a ride back to the finish line.  I then saw Kristin and her dad and it was good to see them making it so far and they still had to turn around and go back to the trail head, “WOW,” one in shape Momma!

Thankfully Tom and Chris got fuel and this gave me chance to make up a little time in the aid station, still no Chris but the next 3 climbs were big and there was plenty of racing ahead.  I remember Tom leading out of this aid station and I felt the pace slow but I would try to speed up to pass him but it was feeling to hard to get around him so I hung in rear a little longer and then finally took the lead but wasn’t trying to push the pace any just keep up the effort.  I then got to the 13th mountain which has previously been a tough mountain for me past races at ABF so going into this race this year I wanted to push up it.  The next climb I paid dearly.  I slowed down the push and Tom caught me ¾ of the way up the mountain.  I said, “your looking good.”  He said “I feel terrible” this is when he started running!!! Yes don't know what the grade was but it was not running grade!   I felt as he was very upset at how bad he was feeling so he just started running like a man on a mission to kill the rest of the race.  He then pushed to the top and blazed down the backside into Tatur aid station I could see Tom run straight through the aid station and looking back I should have done the same but I was on pace for a great PR and didn’t want to blow up.  I also had decided to run the last mountain before the race and I did until ¾ of the way up the hill and I had to use the men’s room so I lost a couple of minutes there but was one of those I had to stop moments!

I kept running over the top and popped out on the what usually feels like the forever dirt road and started trying to make up some ground with the smoother terrain.  I surprisingly felt good and keep pushing the pace for the each mile.  When I hit the payment still no Tom until I topped the hill and there he was but it was to late to make a chase for the man that owned the course and he never been beaten at ABF Marathon.  He is a legand on the trail and he had a bad day and I couldn’t hang with him.  I told my wife that it didn’t matter if I had gotten 20th place because I was almost 20 minutes faster than my Personal Record on the Course so I was super happy and it was great to have 3 other great guys to run with this year! I got second place and my time was 4:32

Hope this makes you want to get out and run some trail!  Have a great day and thanks for reading!
                            http://www.athensbigforkmarathon.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment