Saturday, January 19, 2013

Ouachita Switchbacks 50k 2013


          The week of my race started with four Cavanal summits, 8,000 feet total. It wasn’t much of a taper week for me, but the beautiful summit vistas are so inspiring.   Jed Kirby also talked me into going to the track and doing some speed work with him on Tuesday. It was a great workout, and hopefully will pay off with a great day soon to come at some other trail races in the Winter Schedule.


            This was the first showing of the Ouachita Switchbacks 25k/50k, and I hoped many of the legends like Paul Turner or Stan Ferguson and their crew would be there. So I was disappointed I didn’t see them at the start of the race. But I am positive they will find their way to this race soon. It is put on by Tom Brennan, and it is perfect. Everything from the food, aid, to the finish is exactly what you would expect from a top par race. But the actual course and challenge are what will make this race grow! Tom tried to get a federal permit to make the race a legitimate race.  It was crazy, the hoops they wanted Tom to go through to get the race legit, so he opted to make the race donations only so he didn’t have to get a permit. I really feel the race would have had the same turnout, fee or no fee. Most people came for a challenge, and speaking for the majority of the racers, I would say that they were challenged beyond what they had expected.

            The race started at Pashubee Trailhead on the Ouachita Trail. It’s a great place to start because there is a lot of parking, and you get a little flat area to warm up with instead of starting straight uphill. Tom and I had run this a couple months before to measure the distance and elevation of the course. So at 8:00 a.m. we rolled out heading west on the trail. This was going to be the first showing of my dog Jesse to the Trail Racing World. I thought it would be a good small race to take her to. She so loves the forest, and I knew she was ready for the challenge. I held her until Tom said go, and then put her down and jumped out in front. The first two guys ahead of me were already going the wrong way, which I thought was funny.  I heard Tom yell, “Follow the dog!”  I was in front for about 200 yards and heard someone say, “Coming around!” and Aaron Ochoa from Tulsa went flying around me.

I immediately went into my game plan mode, which was to fight the urge to chase a lead pack all day! When I noticed no one else was coming around me, I set into Aaron’s pace, which felt great at the time. I have run what has felt like a lot of miles with Aaron in the forest, so it was good to be moving along with him. I was talking to him and he said, “Dude aren’t you doing the 50k?” I said yes, then he said, “Well why are you talking to me and running this fast?”  I went on to tell him I was taking it easy and I told him about my training this week. I said I didn’t plan to run too hard and that I just wanted to have fun today and enjoy the great weather. I told him I was a little worried it might get hotter later and that I wanted to knock out some miles early if I could. 
A month before the race, Aaron had run Eagle Rock Loop with me, and he was amazing with my dog Jesse. He loves dogs, and Jesse is becoming one of his favorites. She is a Toy Fox Terrier and she loves to run! She goes crazy when I walk out the door and she sees me in my running shoes. The night before the race, Aaron and a few more people came over for a pre-race pasta dinner. There we told stories, rock climbed in the garage, and Aaron went on to tell me to take Jesse and see how fast she could run.

Creek Crossing in the Fall photo by Shannon Duncan

Two miles into the race, it was Aaron, Jesse, and I alone hopping over rocks, creeks, sticks, and leaves. We came through the first aid station to see Tom and Bryan Hoover cheering us on. Tom yelled, “You guys are on a record pace!”  Since this was the first year for the race I thought Tom was just joking, but later he told me he was serious because of how fast we were moving along. I didn’t feel like I was working hard at all, and that is always good. We hit the first creek crossing and I jumped, then hopped, then splash! The last rock didn’t hold me, and thankfully it was just a foot in the creek, not my whole body!

 Campsite on the OT


            The next quarter of mile was one of the best camp sites on the OT. A picture doesn’t tell its story or give it justice. It has just about everything. If you are a camper, you would understand. This is also where the climbing really started kicking into gear. It climbed steady for the next few miles, but knowing what was ahead, I kept my pace in high gear. One of the first things I came to is an incredible rock glacier. This thing is 500 yards long, 50 yards wide, and it just seems out of place in Oklahoma. This would be about the only place I stopped on the 25k out and back course. I stopped because every time I cross that point, I am in awe of the placement of this spectacular rock on the side of a mountain in Oklahoma! 
Rock Glacier on the OT

As I continued to climb up the mountain it was thankfully still feeling easy.  Aaron had fallen behind and Jesse was right on my heels, loving every step. I hit the Red Spring; a life saver of water supply in the hot summers on the OT. Here I smelled a camp fire and knew the next camp site was occupied. They were cooking breakfast and it smelled great! They said hi with a strange look on their faces, like most campers in the middle of the forest do when they see me running through their camp site. I couldn’t chat though, with an up pace long run on my agenda. I then came into a section of monstrous pine trees, and the big trees brought smooth, fast, beautiful trail as I continued to climb. Finally, I came to the crest of a great downhill that went into a big saddle between two of the mountains, and then the Switchbacks began, all 30 of them, to the top of Winding Stair. I stopped in the middle for a quick bathroom break and I decided to run the entire mountain to the top. It was 10 degrees colder here, and another 10 degrees colder than that due to the wind-chill.   At the top was the turn around, an aid station, and a stack of rocks eight feet tall marking the highest point on the OT. Tom Brennan and Chris Montgomery went all out to get Gatorade, water, and cookies to the top. Wow, those guys rock!  My time at the top was 1:34.

 Winding Stair Fire Tower Look-Out
           
           
            I re-fueled and headed down the hill trying to save my quads. Before I got to the steep downhill, I was surprised to see David pretty close to the turn around. I was also glad to see Jed up close to the front looking strong. I then got back in the saddle and started the next climb. Near the top, I saw Kasey, my third cousin, on his first trail run. It was also his first run further than 13.1 miles, and he was having the time of his life. He went on to finish and have a great time. I was super proud of him! He is only 20 years old! I went on down the mountain past the other racers coming out, only slowing for the rock glacier and saltine peanut butter crackers for me, and water for Jesse at the Big Cedar Trailhead aid station. I came in for a long 25k of 18 miles with a time of 2:56.

OT and its Rocks

            I got a bowl of water from Tom’s mom, and we started off from the Pashubee Trailhead heading east now. The first three-quarters of a mile felt like solid rock and like the bottom of a creek. Then the climb started. This climb I hadn’t done since 2009 with some friends on an overnight hike. That hike was crazy fun with my father and close friends. I remembered two other climbs, both led to the Mena Lodge on top of Rich Mountain, but the Switchbacks were only taking in the first climb.  During the race I got to what I thought was the first summit, but soon found out the climb was about to start. Not only did the climb start, but the effort of up pace running started its toll on me. I was thinking after all the training this week maybe the 25k was a better idea. But I kept up the effort, finally got to the top of the mountain, and found lots of rocks and hard running over the top. At last, I got to start downhill, and it felt better. I also go to hear the great music of Tatur Aid Station, and this got me fired up enough to get down the mountain and get some aid. 

Views East of Pashubee Trailhead

I fueled up again and Jesse didn’t eat anything. I then took off running and Jesse didn’t come with me. I stopped and yelled at her and she just looked at me. I thought she was done and hoped she would be able to finish after I hit the turn around and came back to the aid station. Half a mile later I heard a blazing noise and saw Jesse fly past me, happy to be running with me again. She couldn’t stand that I had left her I guess. So we had some rough rocky running for another mile, crossed the Kiamichi River and hit the turn around. Jesse was super pumped to turn around, and she was now pulling the pace. It was great for me to have someone to chase, even if it was a dog.

View of the Valley below Pushubee Trailhead First Climb

            I saw a trail beside the rocky creek bed I had just ran down on my way out, and kept thinking: “Man I wish I would have seen this smooth trail beside this rock bed on the way out!” My feet were feeling the rocks. My Brooks TrueGrit 2 shoes were great, but I was just wearing down. I saw John from Tulsa right before I got to the aid station, and I had a lot of time on him. It took the pressure off, but I knew I had to keep the pace up to stay in the lead and get over the next mountain. This climb was steeper, but seemed easy because it was shorter. Near the top was the rocky trail again and I lost a lot of effort to run trail on the rocks. I was super happy to finally start the path on the downhill because I knew the race was almost over.  Jesse was still pulling and doing a great job. We stopped at a creek crossing with just half a mile of trail to go, and I washed my face while she was drinking it up.  I got my Headsweat visor wet and said: “Let’s do this Jesse!”  We had just 3 switchbacks and 100 yards of trail to finish. Jesse was so pumped, and the crowd went crazy for her as she ran to the finish area!

I finished the 50k race in first place at 5:48! I like to think I could have gone faster if I was taper and going at race pace, but I was really happy for the effort I made and the technical trail that I had run.

Tom asked me if it was a hard race. I told him it has to be the hardest 50k in OK, AR, and TX for sure! I hope he puts the race on again, and I am so glad for the people that came out to run. I’m also pumped for my cousin Kasey for his first trail marathon, along with Sean Nichols and Zack Duncan who I heard did great. I heard Zack ended up lying on his back at the top of Winding Stair with a Cookie in his mouth. That is funny stuff!  My hat is off to Jed. I know he had a full week of training going into the race. He won the 25k by 13 minutes, and he still had gas in the tank!


No comments:

Post a Comment